What’s more important in IELTS Task 1:
- Understanding the chart, or
- The way you present the information
The answer is both. And they’re both equally important. Many teachers and websites will give you lists of words and phrases to use in each IELTS task. They are focusing on Step 2 of the writing process. Let’s focus on Step 1. Look at the figure below and answer the questions.
1. What kind of chart is this?
- A pie chart
- A bar chart
- A line graph
2. What does the chart show?
- The percentage of the workforce over 20 who were unemployed
- The percentage of the workforce over 20 who are unemployed
- The number of people over 20 who were unemployed
3. What are the units shown in the vertical axis (going up)?
4. What period does the chart cover?
- The year 2013
- The first half of 2013
- The first three quarters of 2013
5. What was the unemployment rate at the beginning of the period?
- 7.2 per cent
- 7.3 per cent
- 7.4 per cent