In an earlier post, I talked about watching Ted Ed videos to improve your listening skills and boost your vocabulary at the same time. I’ll try to post an interesting Ted Ed video every week – something related to the IELTS topic list.
To get the most out of these videos, I recommend the following:
1. Go to ed.ted.com
2. In the top right corner, you will see a Register button. Click on this and register for the website. You don’t have to do this, but it’s useful to log in and save your favorite videos and answers on the site for future reference. Note that you can use your facebook account to login.
3. Choose a video you want to watch. I’ll be posting a video every week which will be useful from the IELTS point of view.
4. Before you start watching the video, click on ‘Think” in the right margin next to the video.
5. Read the questions first, making a note of keywords and thinking of possible answers. This will help you practice your listening skills in the same format as the IELTS Listening exam. Read the questions, then listen.
6. Listen once, then answer the questions. If needed, listen again. You can listen only to the specific parts you need to answer the questions.
7. Now, click on ‘Dig Deeper’ in the right margin and explore the topic further if it intrigues you.
8. Or go directly to ‘Discuss’ (again in the right margin) and join a discussion among students from around the world.